Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chelsea Galleries Reaction

After going to the four galleries I seen many work that attracted and some not to much. The artist that I was not to interested in collecting was Rashaad Newsome: Herald at Marlborough Gallery. I liked his idea of making art that was inspired by Hip Hop. But I felt he focused too much on the jewelry and bling factor a little too much. For example in the collage BO$$ED UP, 2011, it has rapper YG on top of a bunch of jewelry and rims. Also Black and Yellow, 2011 is basically has a bunch of shiny watches which is on top of a black background.

The art work that I would be interested in was Untitled # 168 by Simen Johan. It basically is a rhino sitting in the middle of what looks like a desert. The piece look very vivid to me and the piece looks very clear interesting to me. The other artwork I will get is Untitled # 155, 2010. It is a huge bird that is in a forest, standing on a tree branch with a frog in its mouth. This piece attracted me because I had a parrot when I was younger and it had brought back memories. Also the artwork as a whole looks really cool and the trees in the back look really calming in contrast to the bird with the frog in it's mouth.

Simen Johan
"Untitled #155"
2010 

Simen Johan"Untitled #168"
2011 

Rashaad Newsome
"BO$$ED UP"
2011

Rashaad Newsome
"Black and Yellow"
2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment