Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sculpture Center Reaction

                          While visiting the Sculpture Center I was surprised how different this museum was. The way the artworks were placed and portrayed interested me the most.  Also the lighting and the way the artwork complemented the space it was given.
                           
                         The first artwork that stood out to me was "Joia Do Orixa" by Sanford Biggers.  This artpiece was a big red sculpture with a straw type dress. Also surrounding the sculpture was a red and white stripe see through cloth with glitter on it. The reason why this stuck with me is because as soon as you walked inside the museum it pops out to you. I believe the placement of the statue, color and size of the sculpture are the traits that mainly made the sculpture pop out to me. Another artwork that caught my attention is "Teenager In Love" by Rona Yefman. It basically was a video of a young women tattooing herself and talking about her past relationships. The display was in the basement of the museum and was surrounded by blue lights. To me the video surrounding suited the content playing on the video. It had that dark night inner city feel to it.
                           
                 Last artwork that I found interesting was another video titled ''Dame of the World''. This documentary was basically about an old women talking about her past and the troubles she went through being in the tattoo world. This documentary was showing on a big screen that was in the basement of the museum. There was no light in the room only, the light that reflected from the screen. I believe that if this display was moved to a smaller room, you would not get the same effect.

Rona Yefman
''Teenager in love"
2011
Sanford Biggers
"A Joia Do Orixa"
2011
Rona Yefman
''Dame of the World"
2011                          

No comments:

Post a Comment