Thursday, October 13, 2011

Design in Our Lives Reaction

                      In the world we live in today everyone uses electronics and gadgets in there daily lives. After going to MoMa museum in Manhattan, I saw many electronics gadgets. Also I spotted two high functionality objects and two low functionality objects.
                    The first functional object i spotted was titled My Block NYC.com. This  object was on a big touch screen.  It made the user get to zoom in to anywhere in New York City and also described the area. Some places on the map were you can zoom in even had videos of the actually block . I believe the product had a nice sleek design. I believe that if this product was located all over the city in parks, subways and street corners it will be easier for tourists to get around the city. The other product I found interesting is the SMS slingshot by Christina Zollner, Patrick Fischer, Thilio Hoffman, and Sebastian Piatza. This invention was different from your normal slingshot. It had a small keyboard and screen on the actual slingshot. The purpose of this invention you can type in words into the slingshot then aim it and release. Then it leaves a digital splatter with the words you typed into the slingshot. I believe the SMS slingshot will be fun for all ages and it's design is quick to learn. 
                            There were two products that I saw, that I felt would be low functional. The first product I saw that was kiw functional, was the Talk to Your self Hat by Kate Hartman in 2006. Basically it is a hat and has a speaker covered in cloth that is connected to your hear. The purpose of this device is so you can grab the speaker and talk to yourself. I find this object not functional because why would someone need this product just to speak to themselves. The other object I found low functional is the Muttering Hat also by Kate Hartman. It is also a hat that you put over your head but instead of speaking into a speaker, the hat has two speakers that are connected to the hat that plays pre recorded mutter to you. Both of these objects are low functional to me because I don't see people using these objects in their day to day lives. You do not need  to get a hat just to talk to yourself. If you want to hear muttering just download some muttering and listen to it on your iPod not through a hat.
                             As you can see after my trip to the MoMa and seeing all the art on display. The SMS slingshot and MyBlockNYC.com were the two that made sense to me and also the two displays that would be useful to the public. Kate Hartman's Muttering Hat and Talk to Yourself Hat made the least sense to me and how the public would benefit from the actual product.

Christian Zollner, Patrick Tobias Fischer, Thilio Hoffman, Sebastian Piatza
"SMS Slingshot"
 2009
Alex Kalman, Alex Richard, Igal Nussima
"MyBlockNYC.com"
2011
Kate Hartman
"Talk to Yourself Hat "
2006
Kate Hartman
"Muttering Hat"
2006

1 comment:

  1. Rakesh,
    I also think the "Talk to Yourself Hat" has low functionality.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete